Be sure to have “Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Protection”

In my experience (and completely anecdotal observation) I see that many drivers have insurance coverage with the limits of $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident.  This can create a dilemma for those persons who suffer serious injuries.  The minimum state coverage hardly covers the loss if you have suffered a fracture requiring surgery and have lost a significant amount of time from your work.

I find it difficult to explain to those clients that they are limited to $25,000 when their injuries clearly warrant more compensation.

What I hope for is that the client had “Uninsured / Underinsured” (“UM”)coverage that could potentially add more dollar compensation to their settlement or recovery. For example, in a case with a driver who injures you and had a $25,000 liability limit, if they had a $100,000 “UM” coverage, they could be entitled to an additional $75,000 coverage through their own policy.  (The $25,000 is offset from the coverage that you have).

You should contact you broker or insurance company today and inquire about this coverage.  It could save you in the event of a horrible accident.